Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fundraising to Compete in a Demolition Derby, or PART THE SECOND of 2013, The Most Exciting Year Yet

Yeah, you read that right.

I'm working on several projects this year that have me really excited. In a prior post, I talk about how wonderful and new it is for me to look at the year ahead and to be able to plan what's going on. SO MUCH.

This next project both excites me and scares the heck out of me. I think it's because I'm expecting backlash for wanting to do something for myself. In all the books I've read, the lectures I've watched/listened to, fear is what happens when you're the most vulnerable, when you have something to lose, and when you should push yourself forward no matter what.

My crazy idea? To host a fundrasier through IndieGoGo so I can get a car to compete in the 40th Annual Hangtown Destruction Derby being held August 18th, 2013 in Placerville, CA.

Translation: I want to raise enough money to build a derby car so I can drive around, bang it up, and act a crazy fool.

Why? Because I have never known a greater thrill, a higher high, than to drive in a demolition derby. It's where I can turn into The Fearless Gladiator, look The Big Bad straight in the eye and yell, "COME ON YOU BITCH! COME ON!!!" (That's exactly what I did in 2009).

Why? Because last year, when I watched friends compete, my heartbeat quickened, my adrenaline shot up, and I wanted to be in the arena so bad I could taste it. 

Why? Because it's the 40th anniversary of this particular derby. To me, it's like the Superbowl. 

Why? Because oftentimes, women don't compete more than once, or if they do, it's even more rare to come back to the same event. Dad was telling me he hasn't seen a woman return to Hangtown's derby.

Why? Because I never knew how f-ing expensive it is to build a car. 

In years past, my dad has had connections in getting a car, in borrowing equipment, and friends to call in favors to help him build a car. As Dad has retired, he gave back what he borrowed, and whatever was leftover, he passed it on to friends. If I need Dad to build me a car, we need the cash to get it all. Basically, it's gonna cost anywhere from $4,000 to $6,000.

$4.000 to $6.000. 


Crap. 

So I'm going to be asking friends, family, and strangers alike to help me face a fear and reach a goal all at once. It's as terrifying and thrilling as driving in a derby. 

What if I fail? 

I really don't like that phrase. It plagues me all the time. It's held me back more often than not. I'm really tired of living in fear of WHAT IF. 

Here's me declaring my intentions to raise $4000-$6000. To build a car to drive in a destruction derby. (You can say demolition derby, but I really like the destruction aspect of it all. Like HULKSMASH with wheels). 

While Dad is helping with the car, my brother Rocky is helping me with the videos and the outreach. He's gonna make it look way cooler than I ever could. I figure with our combined forces, it's very likely that we could kick some major ass. 

In the next couple of weeks, keep your eye out for the launch of the campaign. I'll be asking for your help in spreading the word and appealing to the masses. 

If you want to see my first ever derby, where I won 2nd place and did the robot in celebration, check it out. It's on MySpace still. HA! And Rocky really made it look cool. 

RAWR.

No comments:

Post a Comment