Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Country Wife Gets Reviewed! -or- Chatty Patty Goes Insane!

This past Saturday, we were lucky enough to have a reviewer from LA Weekly come see the show. No, I'm not mentioned, I'm just a lowly maid - but who cares, we got a great review! Read on, pass it on, so on and so forth. We only have a week left!


NEW REVIEW GO THE COUNTRY WIFE Adapted and directed by Richard Tatum,
William Wycherley's 1675 bawdy satire is a sexual creampuff of delight. In
cahoots with Dr. Quack (Jim Hanna), Harry Horner (Darin Toonder) passes
himself off as a eunuch to polite society--all with the mind to be trusted
alone with the wives of gentlemen. His impotency is the focus of much
conversation, until the wives find out the truth and start lining up for his
services. One who doesn't trust him with his wife--or with any man for that
matter--is Jack Pinchwife (Antony Ferguson) who keeps his wife Margery
(Caroline Sharp) under lock and key. When he finally relents after her
constant pleading to see London, he dresses her as a boy, but the duplicity
doesn't fool Horner. She responds to Horner's kisses and a mix up of letters
ensues. There's a subplot involving Pinchwife's sister Althea (Tracy Eliott)
who loves the sober minded Frank Harcourt (Kenn Johnson) but has been
promised in marriage to the foolish Mr. Sparkish (Peter Ross Stephens), an
ignorant fop who yelps for wit yet can say nothing witty himself. Stephens
turns in an eye-catching performance as the foppish dullard and very nearly
steals the show. Tatum handles the ribald humor with flair, and costume
designer Denise Nakamura adds hilarity with the outrageousness of the
gentlemen's wigs. Hayworth Theatre, 2511 Wilshire Blvd., L.A.; Thurs.-Sat.,
8 p.m.; Sun., 7 p.m.; thru May 30. (323) 969-1707. An Ark Theatre Company
produciton. (Sandra Ross)

As for me, it's been a hectic couple of days. Where in the F did the time go? The Artist's Way has challenged me this week to not read. Reading is the perfect filler of time, and quite the distraction. You know what I read a lot? Facebook! Argh! So addicted. So no books, no blogs, no Facebooking, magazines, no idle time fillers. Why, you may ask? So as not to get distracted from your artistic creative side. This is good, as it will allow me to work on figuring out how to format this blog and all that I want to do. Soon enough, I might ask for some tech support as my brain starts to shut down. But that's a bridge I have yet to cross.

On top of it all, I left my nifty new phone at the theater on Sunday night. Just figured it out as I got to the car, and upon arriving back at the theater, (it had been 5, maybe 10 minutes at the most, and there were several people there as I left), it was dark, the lights were off and no one was home. I can't even get back to the theater until tonight! Facebook has been a major source of communication as well as distraction. Chatty Patty is going insane without a cell phone and without Facebook. My dad sent me an email this morning wondering what the heck I was doing. I'm asking myself the same question, I tell you. But look at me! I'm working on this epic project, I'm beginning to plot out the month ahead of time, and getting shit done. Woo. Amazingly enough, even keeping up with email correspondence can be a huge time suck. Not to mention, working! I find myself longing for the indepenance that unemployment gave me. But that's another topic.

As Jennifer Warren says, "Onwards and Sideways!" I feel a keen kinship to this phrase....

No comments:

Post a Comment